Guidelines for Submissions
- Keep in mind that the newsletter E-mail needs to convey information in text. Some people can only read text-based E-mail (e.g. vision-impaired individuals, some mobile devices, and some .mil addresses). Therefore, when a PDF or PowerPoint flyer is submitted, the newsletter E-mail will include a summary of the information, and a link to the flyer uploaded to our web site.
- Meeting notices should include the title, description, speaker, date/time, and location. If an RSVP is required, this information needs to be included, along with the deadline for response if applicable.
- Other articles, such as calls for volunteers, should also state the deadline for response.
- Articles with links to third-party sites (except Eventbrite) will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Links to sites with poor or unknown reputation cannot be accepted.
- If a submission includes an individual’s E-mail address, the editor must receive permission directly from that individual to include it in the newsletter article.
- Please make sure that the dates, times, and locations are correct throughout your submission, including any attachments and linked registration web pages.
- Please respond to any questions from the newsletter editor. If the editor is having trouble understanding a submission, it is possible that newsletter readers will also have trouble.
- The publication date is the last day of each month.
- Events coming up within ~6 weeks should be considered as candidates for submissions.
- Approx. 7 to 10 days before publication, the editor will send out a call for submissions to section and chapter officers, which will include a summary of the articles already submitted.
- Approx. 4 days before publication, the editor will send out a draft of the newsletter to section and chapter officers.
- 36 hours before publication date: Deadline for new submissions.
- Day before publication: If updates have been made, the editor will send out another draft. Individuals who have provided submissions or feedback should review their articles for correctness.
The newsletter consists of the following sections:
- Table of Contents
- IEEE Announcements (e.g. IEEE promotions, volunteer opportunities)
- Local IEEE Events (chapter meetings and section events)
- Regional/Global IEEE Events (e.g. GLOBEcom)
- Other Local Happenings (e.g. special events held by other engineering organizations)
- Reports on Previous Meetings